Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Coconut Oil... Is it worth the hype?


       Image From: news.health.com
 
 
     I've got to admit, normally, when I see people going crazy about a product, I usually distance myself because I'm not one to get sucked in. Well, I was at the store and saw in the organic section that the coconut oil was on sale. I bought the virgin coconut oil that's unrefined and cold pressed. It was about $7. My husband jokingly said, "for this price, this stuff better be amazing." When I got home, I started my research about uses for coconut oil. I found so many things, some even a little outlandish. The few things I have used it for, it has really worked well. I'm honestly impressed.

 Makeup Remover and Face Wash

       The first use I read about was makeup remover and face wash. Since my normal routine is not the greatest (one of Braeden's baby wipes), I decided I'd give this a try. I want to first say, If you are at allergic to coconuts, do not try coconut oil. The other note, when you apply the coconut to your face, make sure you are careful to keep it out of your eyes. I simply grab a small spoon and scoop out maybe a dime sized amount. I apply to to my face, specifically where my eye makeup is. I take a damp wash cloth and wipe off my face. It totally removes all traces of makeup and leaves my face feeling completely moisturized. I've even noticed that it seems to help my acne heal quicker, as well. If you find that you do not like the way it feels on your face once you've wipe it off, you can always use some mild face soap to wash it completely off.

Lip Moisturizer and Scrub

       For some reason, this fall my lips have been overly chapped. I've been using the coconut oil as a lip moisturizer. It really does work amazing, and tastes awesome too. I haven't tired it yet, but if you mix 1 tablespoon of coconut oil with 1 tablespoon of brown sugar, you have a  homemade exfoliating  lip scrub.
        I have actually formulated a lip balm using coconut oil and cocoa butter. I use all natural and organic coconut oil to make it. My husband swears it is the best chap stick he has ever used. Here's a link to my etsy shop if you are interested in buying some to try for yourself. https://www.etsy.com/listing/224032124/all-natural-lip-balm-vanilla-mint?ref=shop_home_active_9

Lotion and Body Butter

       Along the same lines, since I'm currently pregnant, I've noticed my skin seems to be more dry right now. I rub a little on my hands, arms, elbows and legs to keep them soft and moist. It feels wonderful on my skin, and smells great too. It's honestly a win win. I have also been using it on my stomach to  prevent stretch marks (I won't know how well it works for that for about 5 more months). **{Update: Since having my baby in April, I have been using the coconut oil on my stretch marks... I do feel like it is helping them diminish.} Similarly, I have also had some problems lately with chaffing on my legs (probably due to pregnancy hormones and weight gain). If you rub a little on the affected areas, not only does it help keep the area from becoming further chaffed or chapped, but it also helps heal the area because of its antibacterial and anti fungal properties.
         I have acutally created a whipped body butter using coconut oil and cocoa butter. It is a wonderful moisturizer for dry skin. It has gotten me though this winter pregnancy. My father-in-law thinks it's the best lotion he has ever used. I do have it for sale in my shop. Below is the link. https://www.etsy.com/listing/218201076/all-natural-body-butter?ref=shop_home_feat_2

Hair Conditioner

      I have tried it as a hair conditioner for my son. I learned the next day, when his hair was still greasy looking, that I should have rewashed his hair to get the excess oils out. However, I did notice that his hair was not nearly as frizzy or tangled as it usually is. Again, the smell of his hair was so much better then it normally is. If you have curly or frizzy hair I would suggest trying a little on your hair as a conditioner, but you may want to make sure you "rinse and repeat" with your shampoo. I did read that some people suggest applying it to your hair an hour or two before you shower so it has time to soften your hair, but your first shampooing with get rid of most of the greasiness.

Healing

       When my daughter was born {yes, I'm no longer pregnant... I had her in April}, she was lip-tied and tongue-tied. I was very lucky that my pediatrician specializes in lip and tongue clipping. He has an "all-natural" technique by using black tea and ice water to numb and heal during the procedure. His instructions for healing the areas were also an "all-natural" approach. He explained that coconut oil is like a Neosporin for the mouth. From what I've read, it's more like a Neosporin for body in general. He said it's totally safe for newborns, and it will help heal the clippings. I loved how he took such an "all-natural" approach not only during the procedure, but also with his healing suggestions. It definitely seemed to heal quicker than my son's clipping did.



       There are so many other uses for coconut oil, it truly is an amazing product. You can cook with it too. I haven't yet. Honestly, if you search it in Pinterest, the results are never ending with the uses for coconut oil. I haven't gotten too adventurous with it just yet,  but what I have used it for, it has been amazing. So next time you're at the store, check it out. If it's not too expensive, grab a jar, and try it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment