Sunday, November 23, 2014

Major Pain.... Some Ways to Deal with Labor Pain...

     I will start with a brief description of my first labor experience, and then move into some ways to deal with pain during labor. With my first pregnancy, I was induced at 39 weeks. I've been told by nurses that "labor" starts when the pitocin drip begins, meaning I was in labor for 17 hours. Yes, 17 hours! About 7 hours into labor, the nurse that was tending to me that night said she could get the anaesthesiologist to start my epidural- if I wanted one. Of course, I wanted one! So I got my epidural... many people had tried to "prep" me for the experience...It was nothing! I sat on the edge of the bed, bent over as far as my stomach would allow me, and the doctor inserted the epidural iv- done, simple as that. Honestly, I do not remember if they used any local anesthesia on the spot prior to inserting the iv (it's been 2 years and I've lost a lot of sleep since then ), but I do not remember it hurting at all. So, I sat in the hospital bed for another 8 hours (try to sleep if you can, I couldn't) with nothing too special going on... Oh, by the way, you cannot eat solid food until after the baby is born when you have the epidural- the food could mess up the effectiveness of the epidural. Well, about 2 hours before my precious little man was born, I start feeling the contractions. I have to say, with the epidural, those HURT! I cannot imagine full blown contractions without an epidural. My husband and mom kept insisting I let the nurse know about how bad I was feeling the contractions. After several complaints from me, the nurse made the anaesthesiologist on duty come in and look at my dosage. He determined that I needed my dosage upped. With in about 5 minutes, I could not feel anything again-whew! About 10 minutes later, the doctor came in to check how far I had dilated, and it was time to push. I've got to say, I was glad to have that extra boost of numbness prior to pushing. My husband and mom, held my legs while I pushed. Since I had never done anything like this before, I found it beneficial to have the nurse bring in a mirror to help me focus on the task at hand.... PUSHING! It was about an hour and a half of pushing, and my sweet little baby was born. I had a near 3rd degree rip from pushing my big bundle of joy out.... I was even more thankful for the epidural because I did not feel any stitching, at all. Boy, once the epidural wears off (was about 2 hours later for me), you feel it all! I have to note, not matter what the pain is, it is 100% worth it all. Baby's are such a miracle.
      Now, since I didn't deal with much labor pain, I had to do a little research to find some great techniques to deal with natural (non-epidural) labor. Babble.com has a list of 10 great techniques for dealing with pain during labor. Some of these I already knew, but it's good to see others agreeing that it helps.

-Water:      If you are planning on staying at home for a while before heading off to the hospital (or if you are doing a home birth), a warm bath is great to relive the pain of labor. The water's weightless environment, allows the body's muscles to relax. If you are already at the hospital, most hospital rooms have showers that you can get into and let the water run over you. If the shower has a portable shower head, you can move the water down towards your lower back, and it will help relive the major back pain cause by contractions.

-Noise:        It may seem like an odd thing to do, but if you make noise though the pain of each contractions, it can help get you mind off of it. If you find yourself in a high-pitched squeal, try focusing on making it a lower pitch, almost like a growl. It will help your shoulders relax, and your breathing deepen. Many women opt to sing or chant things during each contraction. It's another way of getting your mind off of the pain.

-Changing Position:      Really, it's fairly simple.... If you feel that you need to change the position you are laying or standing, go with the urge. Your body will try to find the most "gravity-friendly" position to get into in order to help relieve pain. Some suggestions: lean forward against a wall or chair, rock your body from side to side, or simply walking (up or down stairs can help with the pelvic pressure). Other women use large medicine balls to assist them with comforting positions.

-Support:       Whether it's your spouse or partner that went to the birthing classes with you, or a midwife/doula to offer you support. If your comfortable with it, a parent or friend in there with you can be great to help you deal with the pain or offer distractions. I had my mom in the room with me, after all, she had been though labor 3 times- I would consider her a pro. Having someone else there with you can not only offer as a distraction to get your mind off of the pain, but they can also be an encouraging word in your ear to help remind you that you are doing a great job.

-Massage:       Have your partner or spouse give you a back rub when it starts hurting from contractions. Simply, consistent pressure in downward strokes can help relieve much of the pain you may be feeling. Rolling a tennis ball down your spine can also help. I often try to use the fact that I'm pregnant as an excuse for a massage, use that to your full advantage during labor.

-Meditation or visualization:       Imaging your self somewhere safe or comfortable, can not only distract you, but also help the pain not seem so bad. Visioning the pain as the way to get your body ready for birth. Breathing deep breaths during this exercise, can help get you though each contraction.

-Educate yourself:      Take classes before birth to prepare yourself for what you may experience. If there are some things you don't remember them mentioning during those classes while you are in the middle of labor, grab your pregnancy book or look it up on your phone, computer, or tablet to make sure you understand what is going on. That knowledge, can ease your mind and the pain. Crying can even help further, if that's what you feel you need to do. Talk it out too, with your support person. Explain what hurts or what might be scaring you, it can help ease your mind ,as well.

-Have a doctor or midwife you trust:     Along the same lines of "educate yourself," having a doctor or midwife that makes you feel comfortable enough to ask any questions you may have leading up to the "big day," is important. Anytime a question may arise, jot it down somewhere- a pregnancy journal can be handy- and make sure you ask your doctor at your next visit. If it's an issue you do not think can wait until your next appointment, call their office, they usually have a nurse on duty to answer questions. Having the knowledge told to you straight from the doctor, not only can be reassuring, but you know it's correct. There's so many pregnancy websites and apps out there, and while many do have accurate information, you can rest assured that your doctor or midwife would give you the answers you need.

-Create a comforting environment:       Oxytocin is a chemical that is released into the body during labor. This natural chemical is know to produce itself when you are happy, fall in love, feel safe, and yes, during an orgasm. If you can keep your hospital room a stress free environment and think happy thoughts, it will help release this chemical into you body, which will help all of the pain go away (well, you will forget about it). If you keep stress or scared, the chemical will be delayed prolonging the pain.

-Pain medication: If all else fails, you can take medicine. There is a shot that can be given to the mom during early labor that is a pain reliever, but will wear off by the time you are in active labor (a.k.a ready to push). Or you can opt for my favorite choice, an epidural. It will numb you from the waist down eliminating all the pain altogether. Nowadays, it really is no big deal to get an epidural. You can of course do your research of the option, and ask your doctor any questions you may have about it. There are some studies that say there should not be any time limit on when you can get an epidural, but most hospitals will not administer the medicine after a certain point of labor or dilation. If you are considering an epidural at all, make sure you ask your nurses how long you have to make your decision, that way you are not told "your window of opportunity has passed."

I hope you find some of these techniques for labor pain management helpful. If you would like to see the article I referenced, here is the link: http://www.babble.com/pregnancy/labor-pain-management-childbirth-contractions/


                                          Picture of Braeden right before we left the hospital.

No comments:

Post a Comment