Thursday, July 16, 2015

{6 Tips} on How to get your toddler to eat

        Let me start with this... My nearly 3 year old is one of the most difficult children that I have ever met when it comes to eating. I hate to use the term "picky" in reference to him. He will usually try just about anything once. Plus, there are days he eats me nearly out of house and home. Then, there are days I'm fairly certain he has only eaten like 3 crackers and drink his "food" in cup form (aka milk).  I have a previous post about this because it's been the biggest challenge with him since he's began eating. I am always struggling trying to find a way to get him to eat. I've read numerous articles about how to get a toddler to eat food. Here's the best things I have found work for him....

1. Offer Choices
As we do, children also "eat with their eyes." If their plate does not look appetizing even to you, then more than likely they will not want to eat it. The best "fix" for this, give them a few things to chose to eat. The healthier the options, the better. I've use little 6 count muffin tin several times and given Braeden about 3-4 different things to eat. I, also, try to make sure most of his food options have mobility. If he can grab-and-go with his food he will usually eat a little more. {Note: Too many options may be overwhelming. I'd suggest only 4 options at the most.}
                                           Image from: wedishnutrition.wordpress.com

2. Find Their Favorites
If it seems like you are at your wits end with finding something your toddler will eat, try the "choices tip from #1" and see if you can find a few things they tend to lean towards. I always try to offer healthy options, but some of my sons favorite things to eat are not always so healthy. His favorite thing to eat is chicken, more specifically, chicken nuggets. However, I have given him turkey, carrots, celery, and broccoli so much they are some of his favorite things to eat too. If you find 1 or 2 things you child seems to gravitate toward, make sure that is included with the food options you offer; then, offer a "plus 1" new item. The key is for them so see things they like, and then venture and try some of the new things you have put there for them.

3. Find Meals You Can Fix
Create meals the whole family can eat together using some of their favorite foods. Example: My son loves chicken, and he seems to like broccoli pretty well. So, the other night, we all had baked chicken with broccoli for dinner. When your child sees you eating the same food they are eating, it can reassure that "if it's good enough for you,  then, it's good enough for them." Hopefully, this will prompt them to try more the food you are eating. Plus, it helps them learn to eat around normal meal times.


4. Show them Food can be Fun
-Become creative with their food. Cut sandwiches into interesting and familiar shapes. Point it out to them that their sandwich is shaped like Mickey Mouse or a star. It's easy to take almost any cookie cutter and apply it to their food.
-Let them get involved with making their food. Obviously, keep them safe. However, they love to eat the food they have helped prepare. Sometimes, just letting Braeden watch me fix the food is enough for him to feel "involved."
-Use interesting plates or containers to hold their food. Find them a special plate or table for them to use. Make their plate a big deal to them so they get excited to eat with it.
Image from: sharemyworld.org


5. Do Not Force It
The last thing you want to do is make this such a traumatic issue that your child resents eating. They could grow to hate meal times and make their eating issue a problem. I do occasionally find myself asking him to eat a few more bites before he can go play. However, I do pay attention so see if he is really interested in eating at that particular time. If he seems to not really be hungry, forcing him to eat more food or finish his plate can cause negative eating habits in the future. It can lead to obesity if they grow up thinking the must always finish their plate. Additionally, there could be an underlying reason they do not want to eat their food. It could be a texture issue, and if you force them to keep eating, it could lead to them vomiting. {And no one wants to deal with vomit!}

6. Keep it Accessible
My little man is constantly on the go. Trying to stop him to make him eat is nearly impossible, and usually just results in him refusing to eat. The best thing I have found to do is: Let him know it is time to eat, Find a place that he can reach his food easily, and Leave it there for only about 1-2 hours. I always inform him when its lunch time or dinner time. Then, I set his food somewhere he can reach it. Usually, I place it on a table that is his level or on a couch cushion. Then, I will leave it there for him to 'grab-n-go.' Sometimes, I even find that turning on his favorite cartoon show while he is eating will help distract him while he's eating, and it usually results in him eating more than usual.


I truly hope some of these tips really do help you. I know first hand just how stressful it can be having a toddler that seems to never really eat (or eat like you would like them to). As long as their weight is not in a concerning percentile {and trust me the Dr. will let you know it if is}, try these tips and just keep plugging along. Toddlers will typically grow out of this problem.  The fact that you are reading this article about how to get your toddler to eat better, means you are a good mother. Don't let people make you feel inadequate since your toddler does not eat as much as they feel they should. Just as most people say, it does get better.

No comments:

Post a Comment