Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Getting down to the "Nitty Gritty": Let's talk about PostpartumDepression

         
           I feel this is an important topic that needs more discussing. In my personal experience, it can be hard to realize you may actually be suffering from postpartum depression. Many new moms find themselves not feeling as amazing as they think they should feel right after having their sweet baby. After all, people call babies "a bundle of joy." So why don't you feel the same about it? You know you love this child and would do anything for your baby, but you may feel your world is crashing in on you. Trust me, I know. It's call the "baby blues" which can develop into postpartum depression (ppd). There really isn't much you can do to prevent the "baby blues" or ppd, but the most important thing you can do is get a jump start on noticing the symptoms and getting the help you need. You should also know that you should not feel ashamed if you have any of the symptoms. If you think you could be dealing with ppd, contact either your OBGYN or primary care doctor.
         There is a difference between the "baby blues" and postpartum depression. I did a little research to familiarize myself with the signs and symptoms of both. The Mayo Clinic explains that the "baby blues" should only last a few days up to two weeks. The symptoms of the "baby blues" are:
  • Mood swings
  • Anxiety
  • Sadness
  • Irritability
  • Crying
  • Decreased concentration
  • Trouble sleeping
  • All the symptoms are very common, and most women will blame it all on being a new mother. Which really if you breakdown the symptoms, that does seem like a logical explanation. {I mean seriously, "trouble sleeping?!"... As a new mom, you probably aren't sleeping because you have a newborn.} THE KEY to all this is to keep evaluating yourself and see if you are still experiencing these symptoms longer than two weeks. If you are, you may have postpartum depression. You need to speak to a doctor about any concerns you may have as soon as you can, because you do not want it to go untreated and get out of hand. The symptoms of ppd are:
  • Loss of appetite
  • Insomnia
  • Intense irritability and anger
  • Overwhelming fatigue
  • Loss of interest in sex
  • Lack of joy in life
  • Feelings of shame, guilt or inadequacy
  • Severe mood swings
  • Difficulty bonding with your baby
  • Withdrawal from family and friends
  • Thoughts of harming yourself or your baby
  • Again, I cannot reiterate it enough, if you have any of these symptoms, you need to contact your doctor about your concerns. I have dealt with this issue with both of my children. It took me longer the 1st time around to realize my anxiety levels, mood swings, and fatigue were not just simply due to a lack of sleep and being new mom. I was lucky enough that approximately two months after my first baby was born, I had to a check up with my primary care doctor. I talked to her about how I was feeling, and she explained that it was not just due to the baby, but that it was postpartum depression. I remember thinking how I should have mentioned it to someone earlier, and I wouldn't have been suffering so long. With my second baby, I was able to recognize the symptoms much sooner, and was able to get back on track quicker.

             One thing I did both times, was finding something that I loved doing before having a baby, and try to get back into it. Whether it's reading, blogging, cooking, or crafting... find a way to make yourself have a little "you time." I would either have my husband or family watch the baby for a little while, and dive into a fun hobby for while they had the baby. It really helped me each time. I love all those hobbies I mentioned above, so I would pick just one to work on at a time. Recently, I've been trying to get back into my blogging {obviously}, and my crafting. My latest creation are some coasters I made for my dad's new bar he built for his "man cave." I had such a blast making them, and my spirits were lifted to see them turn out so well. Since they turned out so great, I made sure I added them to my Etsy shop. You can actually give us an idea about a design you like, and we will try to match it up for you. Here's a link to our shop if you would like to check it out: https://www.etsy.com/shop/GeekedOutCrafts

    All this being said, I am serious about wanting new moms to realize if you might be suffering from ppd. If you are waiting to get help because you feel bad about not feeling so glamorized by your new baby, do not make that your excuse. It is not worth suffering when you can simply get help. You doctor can prescribe you a medicine to help. After you have sought out help, you can also try the "hobby" idea I mentioned about to see if that can help lift your spirits some. You should be able to enjoy this time in your life, not feeling constant dread. I'm hopeful this post may help some moms out there realize they could be actually dealing with postpartum depression.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment