Tuesday, December 16, 2014

My Favorite DIY sugar scrub and bath soak

I truly believe giving is one of the best parts of the Christmas season! Last year I decided to do a few DIY gifts for the family. My two favorite things I made was a sugar body scrub and a bath soak. They were simple and rather cheap to make. Here's how I made them, plus a few extra ideas:

1st the sugar scrub:
I made a peppermint sugar scrub. I ended up making enough for 6 ladies in my family. I put them in a mason jar for cute packaging. (I used a blue pint sized mason jar... I can't find the picture)

Pour 2 bags of sugar in a large bowl. Stir and pour slowly a 1/2 cup of baby oil (unscented). One thing I might suggest is try 1/2 cup of coconut oil melted and cooled, instead of baby oil. Add 1 teaspoon of peppermint essential oil (you can use flavoring if you are unable to find the essential oil). And stir it all together. Then, I took half of the mixture and put it in a seperate bowl and dyed it blue (2-3 drops of blue coloring). I originally was going to do pink, but since I used blue mason jars, I decided to go with blue. Once that is mixed thoroughly, I then grabbed my jars. Then, I took a cooking spoon of the white mixture and poured it into the bottom of the jar. Then, I layered the blue on top of that and repeated the process until the jar was filled. It's beautiful and feels so great on your skin (yeah I made myself some to try too). 

Here's a picture of what it kinda looks like layered:


Now, the bath soak:
I made an orange spice bath soak. 

I got a 6 lb bag of Epsom salts and pour it into a large bowl. While stirring and pouring slowly, I added about 1/4 cup of baby oil (unscented). Then, I added about 2-3 teaspoons of cinnamon and 1/2 a teaspoon of all spice. Next, I grated the orange peel of 1 entire orange into the mixture. Then, juiced 1/2 the Orange into the mix, and stirred thoroughly. Lastly, I added 2-3 drops of orange food coloring and mixed until the mixture turned orange. (It does not turn the bathtub orange, I checked before I gave it as gifts). I had 6 empty, clean, and super dry Starbucks coffee drink bottles. I took off the label and got the stickiness off by using grubbing alcohol and a hand towel. For the lid, I took mod podge and added wrapping paper to it, making it festive and covering up the SB label on the lid. You pour the mixture in it to the top and seal. I used ribbon to hold the name tag. 



No comments:

Post a Comment