Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Flu Prevention

    Well, seeing that that area I currently live in is the worst for flu right now, I figured I should do a quick post about flu prevention. Here lately, I've been terrified to go out any where. When I do, I make sure to sanitize everything and try to stay away from people (if at all possible). I did log on to flu.gov to see some of their flu prevention ideas...  (I'm really hoping this doesn't end up jinxing me :) )

-Vaccination: I know there is a ton of controversy that surrounds the flu shot or mist. Honestly, from all the doctors and nurses I've talked to over the years, it truly is the best way to prevent the flu. As you may have heard on the news, this year there is a strand of the flu that is not covered in the shot this year--Thus, resulting in such an epidemic. For the past 3 years now, I have made sure that I get a flu shot almost the second they become available. I have to admit, I have never felt any of the flu symptoms after getting the shot. I, also, have noticed that I tend to be overall healthier during the winter. (I am not saying there is a correlation, but I have actually noticed I do not get nearly as sick with colds, sinus infections, or hardly anything when I get the shot.)

-WASH YOUR HANDS: I cannot stress this enough. I have to admit, I become OCD about washing my hands during this time of the year more than ever. My hands are almost always cracked and dried out because I wash my hands so much. One thing I do if I've been out at the grocery store, I grab one of those Purell wipes on the way out of the door or make sure I have something with me that either has hand sanitizer or 91% rubbing alcohol. I NEVER immediately open food and eat it when leaving the grocery store, unless I have sanitized my hands some how. My son even understands the need to wash his hands more now, or sanitize them. He thinks it's so cool the way sanitizer drips off his hands.

-Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth: This goes along with the whole hand washing thing... Unless you know for certain that your hands are clean... If you are out in public or just got home from being out in public... DO NOT touch your eyes, nose, or mouth until you have washed your hands.It's not the easiest thing to remember, and I know I do not always remember this rule. I definitely make a conscious effort to remember this though.

-Try to avoid close contact with people: If it's not necessary to go out in public... Then, don't. I had to go to a doctor's appointment today with my primary care doctor, and the nurse asked me to wear a mask in the waiting room since I was pregnant, she didn't want me to catch the flu. In my opinion... the worst places to go to right now are doctor's offices, the ER, pharmacies, and large public places, like grocery stores.

-Practice Good Health Habits: Getting plenty of rest, washing your hands, exercise, drink plenty of water, and eating healthy can help your immune system to stay strong. My husband, son, and I are eating oranges like they're going out of style. They're a great source of vitamin C, which helps keep your immune system strong.

-Cover your nose and mouth when you cough or sneeze: The flu.gov website says to cover it with a tissue and then, immediately throw it away to prevent spreading germs. If you do not have a tissue handy, sneeze or cough into the elbow of your arm (the Dracula cover). That way you do not directly contaminate your hands. Even if you do not think you are sick with the flu, this is still a great thing to practice.

-If you are sick with flu-like illness, stay home for at least 24 hours after your fever is gone without the use of fever-reducing medicine: This is so important!!! If you are sick... Please stay home. Try not to get others sick. If you have been exposed to someone that is positive with the flu virus... Try to avoid being in public. There's a huge possibility that you could end up catching the flu.

                                                      Image from: www.myaccesshealth.com

No comments:

Post a Comment