Wednesday, February 18, 2015

#LifeOfAMommy.... The Adventures of Parenthood

      There is no possible way to totally prepare yourself for parenthood. No amount of baby sitting or sibling watching compares. I find myself constantly saying (either to myself or out loud)... #LifeOfAMommy. I know in our society today, the phrase "hash tag" has become a fairly normal saying. Back before social media... I know mom's still said "Well, that's the life of a mommy" when reflecting on the crazy things we end up doing with and for our children. I, also, constantly see my parents (and my husband's parents) giggling at  the seemingly crazy things I tell them I had to do that day--They've been there before, and now they are having a blast watching us deal with it.

Here's just a few examples of what I'm talking about.... Things there is no possible way to prepare for until you are right in the middle of it. (WARNING: It's not all glorious-There are poop stories.)

The other night, we had just gotten the toddler into the bath tub. He was playing great, and I was able to get his hair shampooed (not rinsed). He started, as he calls it, "pooting" in the water. He thought it was HILARIOUS. Then, he said the dreaded words... "Uh Oh..." I knew what that had to mean. Since he's a big bubble bath lover, I had to push back the bubbles to confirm my suspicion. There was a tiny little poo ball. Grabbed the kid, soapy and all, out of the tub,  pulled the plug, and proceeded to clean out the bath tub. Then, after explaining to him that it is not ok to do that in the tub, I refilled the water and finished his bath without further incident.

This morning, I had to get up at 8 am to see if I could make it to my doctor's appointment at 9:30. Due to the snow and ice, I determined there was no way I would chance getting out in the weather. After calling to reschedule my appointment, I crawled back into bed and prepared to fall back to sleep, while cuddling my "lil man." I, first, rolled over and poked my husband on the arm to tell him it was currently snowing outside.... That must have been the MAGIC WORDS! The toddler's eyes popped open and he immediately started asking to go outside and play in the snow.... AT 8 AM! I was able to negotiate a postponement because we had to get up and get ready to play in the snow. He was fine with that for about 2 hours. Then, I had to legitimately get ready and go outside with him.... I was happy that I succeeded in postponing the play session to 10 am. -- Now, I know how our parents felt.... Sorry!

We are in the process of potty training. (Something no one can prepare you for.) He is doing great with it. He's reached the point which if anything accidentally ends up in his pull-up, it must be taken off immediately (unless he's playing and can ignore it for a while). He did not tell me that he had used the bathroom in his diaper, nor did he tell me he had taken it off. I was in the living room, and noticed he was very quiet to be playing in his room. I jumped up, walked into his room, and saw that he tried to switch out diapers.... In the process, there was poop everywhere!!! (Cue horror music) I grabbed him and put him in the tub to rinse him off, cleaned up the diaper that hadn't made it to the trash can yet, picked up all the poo I could find, and finally, mopped the floor from where he tracked it all. I have a feeling, this won't be the last time I have to deal with an episode like this. (Especially, since there's another baby on the way.) *I have also already dealt with poo in the undies he's wearing... That particular pair became so weighted down, it all started falling out as he was walking to the changing table.*

Last week, the whole family ran though a sickness. I did take "lil man" to the doctor just to make sure it wasn't anything serious like the flu. The doctor said it seems to be allergies, and prescribed him a daily allergy medicine. That night, we were sleeping, and he rolls over and tells me he needs tea- It's 3 am! I don't want to give him tea at this time of night.... And for that matter, it's his grandparents that always have tea made, not me. I rarely have any pre-made. So what did I do? I got up and made him some DECAF tea. He insisted, I sit up with him and watch cartoons while he drank his tea. What did I do? Went along with it... Not only was he feeling bad, but I was really too tired to argue at this point. After his "spot of tea," I talked him into drinking water instead. Finally, about an hour later, he was ready to lay back down in bed... but not ready to sleep. That was probably another 30-45 minutes of him tossing and turning. Once your little one sleeps though the night regularly, it seems to take a harder toll on your body when you have to get up in the middle of the night with them. I felt more tired that next day, than I ever remember feeling when he was a newborn. (I know I'll eat those words in 2 months when our baby girl arrives.)

Every one talks about how demanding newborns are because of all their needs (I 100% agree)...However, I'm starting to realize, It never changes... the demands just change (I'm not talking about just the basic ones like: food, sleep, shelter)... but they become different or more complex demands.                            
       I was getting my coffee the other morning, and briefly made the mistake in mentioning we would be going over to Mimi's house later that day. His ears only heard, we're going to Mimi's house! I sat down and started to drink my coffee while choosing which favorite cartoon of his  I wanted for the 1000th time. He walked over to me, grabbed my hand. I knew he wanted me up to follow him some where. So, I did... He walked me into my bedroom pointed at my clothes, and said "Get Ready!" I was a little startled a how blunt his demand was, but amused that he already knows my "we'll leave when we get ready" trick. He meant business that day. Going to Mimi's home was nothing to take lightly apparently.


With all this being said... I absolutely love being a mother. I wouldn't change it for the world. I find it to be the most rewarding, challenging, and enjoyable thing I've ever done. Even the moments that aren't so glorious (like cleaning poo out of the tub), I often look back and laugh because it's #LifeOfAMommy!! (Oh, and you may get more of these adventures posted on here :) )


                                          Here's a picture of our morning snow adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment