Friday, August 28, 2015

Simple ways to add a little extra protein to your diet...

   

      Since the whole "spilling ketones" incident a week ago, I've had to turn my attention to increasing the amount of protein that I am eating. I never considered myself to have "eating problems," but since I still have some nausea issues, I must not be getting all of the nutrients my body and the baby need (yes, 21 weeks and still some nausea). Now, I have to make sure I am eating some kind of protein every 2-3 hours and drinking plenty of fluids. So, here are some of the simple ways I've increased the protein in my diet.

Morning: 1 of the following (if I'm really hungry, some times 2 of the following)
-2 Greek Yogurts (Oikos Raspberry is my favorite flavor)
    I, personally, love the flavor of Greek Yogurt (I know some hate it), but I also
    like that it has double the amount of protein a normal cup of yogurt has.
   That's nearly 30 grams of protein to start off your day!

-3 eggs (scrambled, and some times I even make an egg sandwich with honey wheat
              bread and a slice of cheese)
     That's 18 grams of protein for the eggs alone (not counting cheese if I make a
      sandwich)
-Bowl of Oatmeal
      I'm a mom, so I normally just buy the instant oatmeal packets since I don't have a
      ton of time to make breakfast.
      Oatmeal actually does not have a ton of protein (4-5 grams), but it does fill you
      up for the day.

Mid-Morning Snack: 1 of the following
-Protein bar: I will buy just about any brand (I always look at what's on sale that day)
       I only buy them if they have at least 15 grams of protein, usually they have 20
       or more.
-Raspberry (or any frozen berry) Chocolate Chip protein shake
      I will include a recipe below for the recipe.
      It comes out to about 30 grams of protein per 1 shake.

Lunch: 1 of the following, unless I'm out and about
-Chicken tenders: Yes, I do buy the frozen kind, Banquet is usually the brand we go
            with. It's not the healthiest option, but it's quick and no the worst option for
            lunch.
            1 serving size is about 15 grams of protein.
-Salad with chicken: If I am out and about, this is usually my go to lunch. My favorite
       place is Panera Bread for their Chicken Avocado Salad.
        Depending on the amount of chicken comes on the salad, there's anywhere
        between 15-30 grams of protein.
-Sandwich
      Could be chicken salad (29 grams of protein), peanut butter (8 grams of protein),
      or turkey (25 grams of protein)

Mid-Afternoon Snack: 1 of the following
-Cheese and crackers: My favorite cheese is Colby jack on the block
      1 slice has about 5 grams of protein (I usually have about 5-6 slices)
-Protein bar: We've already been though that :)
                     15-25 grams of protein
Dinner: 1 of the following
-Chicken  breast and a green vegetable (broccoli, asparagus, spinach, green beans, or
                 peas) about 30 grams of protein
-Spinach and cheese quiche 20 grams of protein per piece
           My recipe is in a previous blog: http://mommyvlog865.blogspot.com/2014/11/some-great-and-easy-ways-to-sneak.html

-Pork tenderloin and a vegetable
           I normally create a glaze with about  3 tablespoons of honey, 3 tablespoons or
           Dijon mustard, 1 teaspoon of minced garlic, and 2 teaspoons of rosemary (I
           crush it up a little in my hand)
           About 22-25 grams of protein

This is not strictly all I ever eat, but this give you an idea on how to add a little more protein to your diet.

Raspberry (or any frozen berry) Chocolate Chip Shake
- 1 cup of Greek yogurt (I prefer vanilla) (about 15 grams of protein)
- 1 scoop of protein powder (15 grams of protein per scoop) I use EAS brand.
-1/2 cup of chocolate chips
-1 cup of frozen berries
when you use the frozen berries, you don't need to use ice
Blend in the blender until thoroughly blended
You cannot taste the powder, I swear!
                                    Image from: www.52kitchenadventures.com
                                              But it look's a lot like mine!

No comments:

Post a Comment