Friday, October 10, 2014

Master of Disguise (disguising medicine, that is)

         So there's been so much going on lately with me and my family. My son has been battling an ear infection and croup. Apparently, his lungs are swollen too. So now, I have to find ways to get him to take his medicine. For a little while, he would do it himself, and we'd praise him for being a big boy. Now, nothing will get him to take medicine willingly. I tired the "pin down and put in the cheek" technique... That didn't work at all. In fact, it made him get sick. So since I know I can't force medicine on him, I have had to come up with some ways to hide the fact that he's taking it.

Fever Reducer:

      One thing his doctor suggested for his fever, is to try chewable tablets of Tylenol. He loves them and asks for more every time I give them to him. The other option, if your little one refuses either the liquid or tablet is suppositories. I have had to use them occasionally when his fever gets fairly high. That's when he's feeling his worse and refuses all medicine. It's a simple fix.(One medicine down, two to go...)


Antibiotic:

        His antibiotic (amoxicillin) is approved for mixing with food or drink...  That makes hiding is in his "tine" (Rich Chocolate Ovaltine) super easy. I just add a little extra drink mix to hide the flavor of the medicine. (Two down, one to go...)

 Steriod:

         The hardest one to hide or get him to take is his steroid. I play a game with him with the medicine dropper. I had to switch up the method of giving him medicine. He knew what the syringe was for... The medicine dropper is fun to him. I get a small cup of water and fill the dropper several times, letting him drink the water from the dropper. Then, I add half the dose of the steroid in the dropper while he's not looking. I put a little bit if water in the dropper too. He drinks it before he realizes what it is. He always makes a face, but it registers too late for him to spit it out. Then, I do a few more droppers of just water, then repeat the same process with the other half of the medicine. If this doesn't work... Try hiding the medicine in their cup. {Refer back to the antibiotic method with Ovaltine.} (Whew... Got him to take all his meds! Happy dance time!)

        He's been doing breathing treatments too, that's just a struggle that I have no answer for. Usually, I just tell him to sit and watch Mickey Mouse and ignore it's even there.  Oh the joys of motherhood... It makes you creative, that's for sure! I wouldn't change it for the world!


                                             Image from: www.imprintitems.com

No comments:

Post a Comment